Spring Rolls are a large variety of filled, rolled appetizers found in East Asian and south East Asian cuisine. Different ingredients are used for filling. mostly it is deep fried but very rarely it is pan fried. But I like it as deep fried spring rolls.
Cabbage. : 1 cup
Carrot. : 1/4 cup
Onions. : 1/4 cup
Bell peppers. : 1/4 cup
Salt. : to taste
Corn flour (optional) : 1 tbsp
Maida. : 1 tbsp
Oil. : for deep frying
Soya sauce. : 1 1/2 tbsp
Tomato ketchup. : 1 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Hot sauce. : 1 tsp
Sweet chili sauce : 2 tsp
Sesame seeds. : 1 tsp
You can get different types of wrappers . I like to use egg wrappers, because it gives a different taste. But even pure vegetarian wrappers are available at the stores. Homemade wrappers are very easy to make. I’ll make sure to post them ASAP.
METHOD FOR FILLING:
Chop Vegetables and set aside. I like to chop them as long thin strands. Mix all the ingredients under SAUCE and set aside. Now Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan , when it’s hot add onions and fry for a min and then add all the vegetables. Do not cook them fully, but at the same time u shouldn’t taste the rawness of the vegetables. Do not add water as the cabbage releases some moisture.
Fry the vegetables till it becomes crispy. Now add the sauce and blend them till the vegetables get coated. Add corn flour if needed ( add if the filling is little watery ). If the filling contains water then the spring roll may observe lot of oil, and it may spoil the taste. Finally add salt and set aside.
METHOD FOR SPRING ROLL:
Wrappers should be stored in a refrigerator.
Cover the wrappers with the wet cloth or wet napkin. I used wet napkin to cover the wrappers. This step is done to avoid wrappers become dry, so that it will be easy to roll.
prepare the maida paste, by mixing it with little water. It should be in a dosa batter consistency. Not too thick nor too thin.
Place the wrapper in diagonal and place the filling as I kept .
Roll the wrapper half way through.
Press the wrapper on both sides.
Now fold one side of the wrapper By applying maida paste.
Same way fold the other side of the wrapper by applying maida paste.
now fold it fully , but don’t forget to apply the paste on the tip of the wrapper as shown here.
While preparing spring rolls, do not allow it to dry as it may leave a crack. Cover the roll with a wet cloth/ napkin.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan. fry them in a medium heat Till golden brown. Transfer them on a plate with paper towel to observe excess oil.
- I hv used red cabbage ( green cabbage is not available at my nearest market ) , I prefer to use the green cabbage for spring roll.
- To be colorful, add different colors of capsicum.
- Do not add water while frying the vegetables. If you do not have non stick pan, then just sprinkle little water and then add corn flour at the end .
- Do not forget to cover the wrappers, or it may spoil the wrapper by getting dry. Homemade wrappers are easy to make, I’ll make sure that I post it as soon as possible.
- Add hot and sweet chilI sauce for a great taste. But the brand is of your choice.
- This dish should be served hot. if you are not using the whole , refrigerate the filling and wrappers. But make sure that you heat it while reusing the filling later. You may need to add corn flour a bit more when you reheat.